Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thing 18 - Make your own Wiki

Wiki, Wiki, Wiki...I set up a wiki for grade 8 to use on their electricity project. Each project has a page to talk about, but I am not sure how they will use them. I am thinking that a moodle page might work better. So I am going to rethink how I could use a wiki. I wish that we had better access to the computers so that we did not have to reserve them for an hour when we might only need them for ten minutes or so. Some students have their own computers at home, but many share computers with other family members and do not have access all the time. Some have iPod phones or other phones with web access that they could possibly use, but it puts some students at a disadvantage to those who don't have one. Does anyone have an idea of how I can use a wiki with the 8th grade?

2 comments:

  1. Wikis are good for projects in which a team of students needs to do something and then turn in some form of report. For the teacher, you will be able to see who wrote what and who corrected what. That can be very useful when evaluating group work. As a science teacher, I would encourage you to use it as a tool to evaluate participation in project or lab report.

    Happy to give more ideas, if you give me a better idea of your electricity project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some great examples of educational wikis on Thing 17 - click the More link.

    ReplyDelete