Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thing 19 Podcasts....Going where no man has gone before....so say the guys from the Naked Scientists

I had already downloaded some podcasts for my iTouch and listen to them when ever I find myself in a wifi free site. One of may favorites are the two guys from England who do a podcast for the BBC called the Naked Scientists. Their British humor comes through in every episode. I enjoy listening to them, but my students have a harder time keeping focused when there is nothing to watch. Ted is another one that I like to listen to occasionally.  Sometimes I will listen to podcasts when I am driving as there are no other distractions to interfere.  I have found that many on iTunes seem to be more entertaining to listen to, but maybe they are just the ones I am downloading.  

When thinking of how this could be used in school I have come up with a couple of ideas.  Students could use podcasting to explain different concepts possibly to students in other classes or in different sections.  Students love to record and hear themselves, so why not use it to learn or educate others. The students could also use podcasting to help themselves learn a concept better, because when you have to teach it to othersyou must really understand the concept yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Having students discuss their understandings of a concept could be very interesting. You might even have students work in small groups to do this. You might want to do visuals with the audio....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Grammar Girl can talk about grammar rules, perhaps it is time to have a science concepts podcast. Podcasts might be a great way to introduce an upcoming topic. Students could listen to the podcast the night before the lesson.

    ReplyDelete